Where can I get the latest government information on coronavirus?

If you want access to all government advice on coronavirus you'll find it here .

When should I self-isolate?

  • If you have a high temperature or new, continuous cough, or have lost your sense of taste or smell
  • You must self-isolate for 10 days if you live alone
  • You must all self-isolate for 14 days if you live with others (if someone gets symptoms during isolation all householders must remain symptom free for 10 days even if that means isolating for more than 14 days)
  • If you have symptoms of COVID-19 you should arrange to have a test at home.
  • You must self-isolate if told to do so

Self-isolation will save lives - it's important you follow the guidance if you're affected.- more information can be found here.

If you are living with children - Keep following this advice to the best of your ability, however, we are aware that not all these measures will be possible.

Why should you self-isolate?

  • Self-isolation is the safest way to stop spread of the infection.
  • People in the most vulnerable groups should consider self-isolating even if they don't have symptoms.
  • Self-isolation saves lives - and while 90% of people will recover from this virus - some will get seriously ill and some will die - it is these people we need to protect.

Do I need to call NHS 111 to  self-isolate.

No - but if your symptoms worsen during isolation or are no better after 10 days contact the NHS online coronavirus service. If you have no internet access, you should call NHS 111. For a medical emergency dial 999. 

How can I get a coronavirus sick note?

Online isolation and sick notes have been introduced to help employees prove they have to stay at home during the coronavirus pandemic. Isolation notes are available to people who can not work for more than seven days, including those who are not showing symptoms but live with someone who does. Get your isolation note here.

    How should I look after myself when I self-isolate?

    • Get plenty of rest
    • Drink plenty of water (fluids)
    • Eat healthy food
    • To reduce pain and fever take paracetamol (if you use other mediation get in touch with your care provider)
    • Keep in contact with friends and family by phone, video and online

    Can I get a test?

    The following groups of people can ask for a test through the NHS website:

    • anyone in England and Wales who has symptoms of coronavirus, whatever their age

    Do I need to wear a face covering?

    When you're doing normal day-to-day activities face masks will do little to protect you from viruses. The best way to reduce any risk of infections is with good hygiene, like washing your hands, not touching your face and avoiding social contact by keeping 6 feet (2 metres) away from others when possible.

    Up-to-date information is available here

    There are exemptions to the rules of wearing a face mask. Children under 11 and those with certain disabilities will be exempt. A complete list of exemptions can be found here.

    Can I get a refund on my train ticket?

    Advance tickets will be refunded free of charge. Season ticket holders will be refunded time unused with no administrative charges. Contact the organisation from which you purchased your ticket for details.

    What financial support can I get?

    The Government have introduced significant measures to protect the financial resilience of individual and businesses and will likely take more steps over the coming days and weeks. The following two organisations provide updated and detailed support and advice about your money in light of coronavirus (COVID-19).

    • This up-to-date guide from the Money Advice Service is easy to follow and filled with good advice about Government initiatives, sick pay and changes to claiming your benefits during this challenging time.
    • The advice and benefits and grants calculators at Turn2Us are useful to get support if the coronavirus has had a negative impact on your finances.

    Can I claim sick pay?

    Will my employer be obliged to pay me while I stay at home? 

    Statutory Sick Pay will be paid from day 1 instead of day 4 for those affected by the virus.

    What if I have a 'zero hours' contract?

    You may be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay. Check with your employer in the first instance and if you're not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

    What if I’m self-employed?

    You might also be able to get a grant through the Self Employment Income Support Scheme) or you may be able to apply for Universal Credit - where self-employed people can access full statutory sick pay equivalent.

    What if the whole family has to stay at home so we have no income?

    If no one is getting Statutory Sick Pay, the family can apply for Universal Credit -  the Government have changed certain rules governing this benefit during the coronavirus period.

    I'm worried about paying my tax - is there any help?

    Yes - there are 2000 staff supporting a COVID-19 dedicated helpline for businesses and self-employed being run by HMRC Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 8am-4pm - 0800 0159 559 who will discuss possible remedies such as:

    • agreeing an instalment arrangement
    • suspending debt collection proceedings
    • cancelling penalties and interest

    Self-assessment tax payments are deferred until January 2021.

    How much can I put on a contactless bank card?

    To help manage through the coronavirus the limit has been increased to £45.00 from April the 1st.

    What can I do about getting an MOT?

    MOTs are suspended for lorries, buses and trailers for up to three months. The Government has announced that cars, motorbikes and vans will be given an MOT exemption from the 30th March 2020. But you must still keep your car roadworthy and in a good condition.

    Can I get up-to-date news about coronavirus (COVID-19)?

    Yes sign up here (check your junk mail for the confirmation email).

    Can I still shop online and is it safe?

    Yes. Online sites, postal and delivery services will run as usual to ensure people can access essential goods. You won't have to sign for goods and they should be delivered to your home leaving a safe distance.

    Can I take my pet to the vet?

    Vets are open but practices have been asked to provide emergency services only and face-to-face contact should be limited. So only use the vet for urgent or emergency medical care.

    Should I use hand sanitiser gel or soap and water?

    You should wash your hands with soap and water for at last 20 seconds regularly but particularly when you return home. If you're out and about and cannot get access to soap and water cleaning your hands thoroughly with hand sanitiser gel can be effective against the virus.

    Can I move house?

    Yes - the most recent Government advice is that you can sell your home and move home. This should be done following the Government guidelines provided here..

    I'm an NHS or social care worker do I have to pay for parking?

    All on-street parking and open, council-run car parks including pay and display will suspend charges for health workers, social care workers and NHS volunteers..Councils will set up local arrangements so NHS and care workers and volunteers can provide suitable evidence that they can display in their windscreen to ensure they avoid parking tickets. Find out more here.