Behind the headlines of the new employment stats out today there is more great news. Every one is a story of someone getting a job and having the pride of earning a living and providing for their family.
- Employment: 32.75 million (up 354,000 over the last year and up by 3.70 million since 2010).
- Employment rate: 76.0 per cent (up 0.4 points over the past year and up 5.8 points since 2010).
- Unemployment: 1.29 million (down 116,000 over the past year and down by 1.22 million since 2010).
- Unemployment rate: 3.8 per cent (down 0.4 points over the past year and down 4.2 points since 2010) – the lowest rate since 1974 and halving since 2010 (8.0 per cent).
- Youth unemployment: There are 446,000 fewer young people out of work since 2010 – halving since 2010.
- Women: The number of women in work is at a record high of 15.47 million – and the employment rate for women is at a record high of 72.0 per cent. There are 1.84 million more women in work since 2010.
These are all great stats but there is more to do and bringing jobs and investment to Darlington will help to ensure that month after month more people are in work.